Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Summary of "Tupi-Guarani Resistance against Colonial Brazil" by. Juliano Klevanskis Candido

This article talks about the European colonization done by the Portuguese and the Spanish that happened during the 14th and 15th centuries. It starts off talking about what the Tapi-Guarani tribes did for food, how their economy works, and their beliefs and rituals. Later on in the article it talks about how the European colonists started trying to force Christianity on the natives, which ended causing problems including war and slavery.

The authors starts off talking about the economy in the native Brazil tribes. The economy consisted of hunting, fishing, gathering fruits and roots, and agriculture. Even though tribes had alliances they didn’t trade with each other. They only tended to their tribe. The tribes did not trade with colonists because they consumed all of what they had. The tribes did offer human legs to the colonists because the tribes were cannibalistic, but the colonists refused.

The natives had many detailed rituals that dealt with nature. They only passed down their religious beliefs through spoken language. They talked about how their prophets had journeys to lands with no evil. Natives often migrated in search for the land without evils due to Catholic missionaries. The colonists thought the natives were people of the past because there were no kings or authority.  Colonists eventually tried converting the natives to Catholicism.

Although some natives lived in both worlds, due to Catholicism, there were many invasions from the colonist and the natives. One of them natives killed a bunch of Portuguese colonists and ate them as a ritual.  Eventually the wars ended and the natives ended up as slaves to the colonists. Women and children were made servants. The Portuguese also started trafficking native girls.

Juliano Klevanskis Candido

Tapi-Guarani Resistance against Colonial Brazil, 18



  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelby,
    For this to be reflexive, you need to include yourself in the situation you are in, the position you have, as an American, as a young educated man going to college, and in every way, where your background may influence the indigenous group you are researching. Who are you? What you do? How do you relate to them. When you comment on the group or something you do not approve of, you may want to use the concept we used )ethnocentrism) in class. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot relate much with the Tapi-Guarani tribes since I've grown up in america.
    I have never been in a situation where I've had to go out and find my own food. I have fished before and ate what I caught but I never had to depend on fishing to be my source of getting food. I've always been able to buy whatever I want to eat down the street form my house.

    I don't agree with what the colonist did to the Tapi-Guarani people. They were being ethnocentric, comparing their culture to the natives. They should of respected their culture, and not try to change their views. They should of respected their beliefs and not tried forcing Christianity on the native people. The colonist shouldn't of made a big deal about the natives being cannibals. I personally thought it was crazy that people would eat other human beings, but it's part of their culture. If the colonist would of respected the natives culture, there would of been no invasions by the natives.

    I also don't agree with what the colonist did to the natives. Turning them into slaves and trafficking the native girls is wrong. If the colonist won the invasion they should of let the natives enter their society normally and be treated like the colonists. Although I think the colonist should of let the natives be, if they were going to capture them they should of let them live the same way as a colonist would.

    ReplyDelete